Hadley Union Building
Student Cooperative Association Inc.
The Student Co-op adopted a policy stating different levels of security that is used as our guideline for security staffing at The Hadley Union Building (HUB) for late night events with respect to their congruency, The following security policy goals are:
- To provide safety and well-being to all persons attending and supporting HUB late-night events, including: student patrons, student programmers, contracted security personnel, University and Co-op employees, and performing artists.
- To meet the legal and contractual obligations of the Student Co-op membership, employees and all persons attending and supporting HUB late night events, including: student patrons, contracted security
personal and performing artists.
- To act in an efficient, yet reasonable and prudent manner, in
implementing security measures at HUB late-night events.
The HUB late-night events can be graded in terms of the level of risk they
pose and consequently, security measures need not be consistent for all HUB late-night events. Those factors that may be considered in grading the level of risk posed by specific HUB late-night events include the nature of the event and the degree to which the event will attract non-IUP student patronage.
Levels of Security
- Graduated security levels are applied to Thursday through Saturday HUB
late-night events (defined as any event that begins or continues beyond
9p.m.), based upon the broad nature of the event per the following:
Level I: No security measures deemed appropriate. Events graded at
Level I include meetings, lectures, displays, and presentations to
Level II: Light to moderate security measures deemed appropriate,
which will include some number of contracted security personnel.
Events graded at Level II include comedy shows and open-microphone activities.
Level III: Moderate to full security measures deemed appropriate, which will include some number of contracted security personnel. All participants and support personal must pass through electronic screening devices at the facility entrance. Events graded at Level III include dances. DJ parties, music events and entertainment that draws a significant non-IUP student patronage.
- Given the need to secure the entire building and to deny entry to the building except through secured entrances, events graded at Level III security may not begin prior to 9:00 p.m.
- The sponsoring programming group maintains the opportunity to recommend a security level for its sponsored event and to consult
with the HUB Director about his or her determination of the
appropriate security level for that particular event.
- The HUB Director has the final authority to determine the level
of security for an event as circumstances warrant.
Requirement for All Organization Holding Events in the HUB:
Due to the need to schedule security personnel for a large number of events
held throughout the academic year, groups are required to have completed paperwork turned into the HUB Front Desk at least one (1) full week prior
to the event. Also an advisor must be present during the event.
Security and Safety:
The Student Cooperative Association, Inc. contracts with a private security firm
to provide safety and security for programs and events held within association facilities. In addition the Student Co-op Facilities Coordinator acts as liaison between the association and the security firm, and has the final authority concerning all safety and security issues.
The Student Co-op remains committed to provide a safe and secure environment for individuals and groups using Student Co-op facilities.
Your support and cooperation is greatly appreciated.
–The Student Co-op